It’s Freaky Geeky Friday here at the PJV, and Jaycee Ford is freaking my geek today! I recently read Watching Fireflies which is the first full on romance I have read, and I really enjoyed it. I tend to read paranormal, UF, suspense, thriller, etc. with romance elements involved but not necessarily the focus.
So now I want to wrangle a cowboy! Jaycee has written a series of books that feature a new cowboy from the same world (The Love Bug Series):
Aren’t they pretty?
Here are my Top Ten Reasons You Should Wrangle A Cowboy:
- There are lots of hot cowboys. So if cowboys are your thing, this series is for you.
- It made me nostalgic for the little town in Texas where I grew up.
- Tom won me over with this line: “I wasn’t going to push her into telling me all of her problems. I just wanted to be the one to fix them.”
- There’s a crazy, rabbit-boiling ex-boyfriend, and Jaycee does an excellent job of making you hate him.
- There were too many sex scenes for me which may be the perfect number for you. (Yeah, I know I’m weird) But, they were well written sex scenes if that helps.
- The book just has a certain charm that’s hard for me to put my finger on. This may be my nostalgia kicking in.
- There is an external plot outside of the relationship between Tom and Jordan.
- Jordan is smart and easy to root for.
- The ending is sweet. If you like a HEA with a sweet ending, this is the book for you.
- Did I mention there are hot cowboys?
Enter to win a signed copy of Watching Fireflies!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Winner is Meredith M! Check your email Meredith!
So this is going to be different from my other Top 10 Reviews. I would like to give the caveat that I am a huge Darynda Jones fan. I love the Charley Davidson Series, (and here’s the “but”) but this eighth installment in the series was disappointing for me. It actually pains me to say that. So I am splitting this review:
Top 5 Reasons You Should Read This Book:
- MR. WONG!!! We finally get the low down on Mr. Wong. This was my favorite part of the book.
- The hell hounds. I can’t say anymore without giving it away.
- It is a Charley Davidson book.
- Beep is born.
- Cookie has a life changing event.
Top 5 Reasons You Should Wait Until The Next Book Comes Out:
- The ending is horrible. Horrible like “Oh my God, I can’t believe she went there.” Like “Really, are you kidding me?” Like “Nooooo!!! Say it isn’t so Darynda. You’re better than that!”
- Way too much “I’m a god” talk.
- Charley soooo wouldn’t have responded that way to Beep being in danger.
- Half way into the book and nothing has actually happened.
- It just didn’t feel like a Charley book. There was some snark, but it didn’t flow right, and she just wasn’t as funny as she usually is.
So there it is. It breaks my heart, but I had to say it. I still love you, Darynda!
Hey guys! Nalini Singh just had Shards of Hope, her 14th book in the Psy/Changeling Series, come out on Tuesday:
In preparation for this release, I went back and reread the first book in the series, Slave to Sensation. I love this book! It is well crafted and has so many elements in it that made me want to keep reading and rereading.
Here are my Top 10 Reasons You Should Read This Book Immediately:
- You have never WANTED the characters to go to sleep as much as you will want these characters to take a nap.
- There is espionage. Who doesn’t like a little spying here and there?
- Panthers, jaguars, and wolf shifters! Oh my!
- Singh does an amazing job describing the sensory overload Sascha experiences. She makes it believable that Sascha is experiencing food, touch, and desire for the first time.
- Skin privileges…
- This line: “He might be alpha but she was a cardinal.” That’s right Sascha’s no push over!
- Telekinetic ass kicking.
- A wounded, strikingly handsome, strong, sexy alpha panther.
- Sascha really transforms from the beginning of the book to the end. I wanted more of her story when the book was over.
- The tender moment between Brenna and Sascha: “I was born to heal you.”
What freaked your geek today?
Hellooooo! I have finally recuperated from RT15 then finishing up the school year then moving (which I just finished last night). I just finished reading The Vampire’s Mail Order Bride by Kristen Painter, and I really enjoyed it. It was a light, fast read that I think you guys will probably like. The relationship arc moves kind of fast, but at least you get some of that resolved so you aren’t left hanging until the next book in the Nocturne Falls series is published.
Here are my Top Ten Reasons You Should Read This Book:
- The town celebrates Halloween 24/7. How cool is that? And how easy does that make it for the things that go bump in the night to hide in plain sight?
- The vampire has a grandma. Yep! A nagging, interfering, domineering grandma.
- There’s a gargoyle. I love gargoyles! (I think this may be reminiscent of that gargoyle cartoon I watched when I was a kid).
- The cat’s name is Captain Underpants.
- The leading lady can bake.
- There are day walking vampires.
- The ice cream store is called “I Scream.”
- The leading lady is strong willed.
- There are mobsters. Like “Are you talking to me?” kind of mobsters.
- There’s a man-whore brother and a broody, tragic brother in addition to the brother with a string of jilted lovers and a I-killed-my-wife complex. All are vampires.
I recommend this book for a fun read.
What freaked your geek today?
Hello, beautiful people! The excitement is slowly sinking in, and I can’t wait until RT15! The people… the authors… the books! I’m also excited to see one of my favorite authors, Darynda Jones. So in celebration of the books to come, I’m giving away one audio download of her book, First Grave on the Right. This is the first book of the Charley Davidson series which is awesome. You should totally read it.
To enter to win, answer the following question in the comments below: If you could be a beta reader for only one author, who would it be and why? The winner will be selected via random.org on 5/1/15 at 6:00 pm Central. The winner will be notified in the comments and will need to respond by 5/8/15 at 6:00 Central. I will email the winner the download instructions. Good Luck!