A Recipe for Sizzling Chemistry
What makes a romance sizzle like Julia Roberts and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman?
My debut trilogy, VENGEFUL LOVE, is darkly suspenseful and sinfully sexy. It is packed full of tension both in an out of the bedroom. But what is it that makes sizzling chemistry between our fictional couples? What charges the air when they speak? What ignites their blood when they touch?
Here’s my suggested recipe and how I used it to create VENGEFUL LOVE.
- Underlying tension. Something that makes one character untouchable to the other. They could be opposites who aren’t meant to be together. They could have secrets that keep them apart.
- Irresistibility. There has to be a pull that means the couple can’t take their eyes off each other. They can’t sleep, eat or work without thinking about the other.
- Something familiar. Although they vex one another, the pair share a common characteristic that makes them understand each other.
- A pinch of hormones.
- A dollop of primal need.
- An inherently sexy setting.
- Oh, and don’t forget the SECRET INGREDIENT.
Place all ingredients into a large pan and stir slowly over a simmering heat.
In VENGEFUL LOVE, Scarlett Heath is a high-flying corporate lawyer who pitches to work for a devastatingly attractive billionaire, Gregory Ryans. The pair have an instant physical attraction. They’re both powerful, sassy and alpha in their own ways. Between suits, stilettos, tight-fitting dresses and tense boardroom scenarios, they are each intrinsically sexy characters.
Scarlett knows she shouldn’t get mixed up with a client. It could end badly and threaten the career she’s worked so hard to build. Scarlett fights her desires. The problem is, Gregory just can’t seem to let her go.
When it transpires Gregory’s work is a hostile takeover, Scarlett finds herself compelled to go against everything she believes in to help him complete the deal. There’s something about him she empathises with, a reason she can’t walk away.
Once the deal is done, it looks like they might finally be able to give into their carnal instincts. But the takeover has consequences neither Scarlett nor Gregory could have anticipated and once again, the pair are torn apart.
So, VENGEFUL LOVE has all the ingredients. Gregory and Scarlett want each other, that’s clear. But they can’t be together. They’re both feisty, competitive and down-right H.O.T.
Of course, none of this matters and there can’t be any tension if the reader doesn’t believe in the characters or care whether they become a couple. Herein lies the SECRET INGREDIENT. A book must take a reader on a journey with the characters, make the reader feel the chemistry and want to see the turbulent relationship culminate in fire between the sheets.
Finally, your garnish…make sure that when the couple eventually do hit the mattress/desk/sofa/boardroom, it’s everything they deserve and more.
He’s a devastatingly handsome, filthy-rich CEO. She’s a high-flying London lawyer. All it takes is one boardroom pitch. One hostile takeover.
Vengeful Love by Laura CarterSeries: Vengeful Love #1
Published by Carina Press on March 21, 2016
He's a devastatingly handsome, filthy-rich CEO. She's a high-flying London lawyer. All it takes is one boardroom pitch. One hostile takeover.
Vengeful Love is darkly suspenseful, sinfully sexy white-collar romance at its very best.
I've always walked the straight and narrow—following the rules, never straying from my chosen path.
Until Mr. Sexy Bazillionaire CEO Gregory Ryans walked into my life. It was only supposed to be business, but one brush of his wicked lips against my skin changed everything.
I can't deny what this man inspires in me. I'll do anything he asks…even help destroy the enemies from his past.
But he's hiding more than he's telling me.
When our love leads to tragedy, there's no going back. Gregory's past is trying to kill our future.
They say love can bring a person to their knees.
I've just proven that vengeful love is the strongest force of all.
Book One of the Vengeful Love Series
Thanks to the team at Harlequin and Carina Press, one lucky winner will receive the following:
- Gift Card for $25 at Amazon.com & 25,000 Harlequin MyRewards points
- E-Book copy of Vengeful Love
- Monday, March14th – BookHounds – Guest Posts
- Wednesday, March16th – Me, My Shelf and I – Guest Posts
- Friday, March 18th – Parajunkee – Guest Posts
- Monday, March 21st – Sassy Book Lovers – Review with short Interview
- Wednesday, March 23rd – Sering Night Reviews – Review & The Four Eyed Cat Reviews – Review with short Interview
- Friday, March 25th – Obsessed by Books – Review with short Guest Post