Book Bloggerista News – News for Book Bloggers
Let’s support our community by leaving comments / linking to / sharing each other’s posts. Find at least 5 posts you like, and share the blogger love by leaving comments at the respective websites.
A Note From Parajunkee:
Tanya does such a wonderful job putting this Book Community Links & Blogger Tips together, I can’t imagine how much time it takes her to do this. Wonderful job, she deserves a round of applause! But, every now and again, a controversial bit of news surfaces – and I have to inform everyone and drop in my two cents. And this one takes the cake. I would like to inform everyone that Parajunkee’s View will be boycotting Ellora’s Cave, the publisher of romantic eBooks.
This is a tough decision, because the authors of EC have done nothing wrong, it was the actions of the publisher that led to this decision and ultimately this will affect the authors. Parajunkee’s View makes the offer to EC authors that if you have books published independently or with other publishers, we will happily review those titles. This decision was made following the lawsuit filed by Ellora’s Cave against Jane Litte of Dear Author, following her very interesting blog post, The Curious Case of Ellora’s Cave. The PJV is of course, supporting Jane – and all bloggers should take note of her situation – because Jane is a Blogger and she is being sued over a blog post she wrote. The entire situation is both scary and sad, please take the time to read some great posts on the situation and make your own decision:
- What started it all: The Curious Case of Ellora’s Cave
- Dear Author: Ellora’s Cave Sues Dear Author
- Smart Bitches: Ellora’s Cave Sues Dear Author: Hello Streisand Effect
- LATimes: Erotica Publisher Ellora’s Cave sues Dear Author Book Blog
- The Digital Reader: Ellora’s Cave Sues Dear Author Book Blog for Defamation
- Courtney Milan’s #NotChilled Post – Great Idea and I hope it gets the message out
- A Must Read – Chilling Effects – Sunita states plainly about EC’s probable hidden agenda and the fact that this lawsuit is meant as a threat to both bloggers and EC’s authors
- And finally not the most disturbing bit of news, but the the one that makes me vomit a little in my mouth: Jenny Trout discusses the authors that celebrated when news of the suit against Dear Author went live: DON’T DO THIS EVER (an advice column for writers): “On Wednesdays, we wear pink” edition
Support Book Bloggers!
XOXO – PJ
Bookish Community Links & News
- Read 14 Great Banned & Censored Novels For Free. The list includes 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, among others.
- The 12 Weirdest Reasons for Banning Science Fiction and Fantasy Books and 11 Books That Were Banned for Completely Ridiculous Reasons are 2 of my favorite lists posted during Banned Books Week … Also 14 Things That Should Be Banned Instead Of Books.
- What books do you love that are outside your genre? For me, Young Adult contemporary books do not rock my world, but Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley turned me out!
- What are some of the books that got you hooked on a genre? Jo Nesbo got me hooked on mysteries last year.
- I love this Guide to Books With a Male Point of View.
- A huge list of recommendations is in Genre Guide: Steampunk for Teens. Have you read any of these books? Do you like Steampunk?
- These 10 Literary Characters Are Having a Worse Day Than You. Can you come up with your own list?
- Check out these lists of Wild Beasts on Book Covers and Beasts! Reptiles and Amphibians.
- What books would be on your Reading On Topic: Literary Roots? For me, it would be the odd combination of lots of Stephen King and classics.
- Autumn is awesome for hunkering down with darker books. Check out the beauties on this list of 10 Must-Read Ghost Stories and 12 Must-Read Zombie Books
- Who’s on your list of 5 Supporting Characters who Deserve Their Own Books? I second Boris in The Goldfinch!
- At the end of the year, which authors are going to be on your list of 13 Most Read Authors?!
- Looking for some more LGBT+ reads? Consult the LGBT Rainbow #3.
- Are you on Pinterest? Here are 30 Book Blogger Booktastic Boards on Pinterest?
- What are some your Go-To YA Book Recommendations?
- If you’re interested in diversifying your reading, here’s An African Reading List to get you started.
- Some readers are against giving recommendations to others – and I don’t exactly blame them.
- 5 Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels That Deserve to Be Rediscovered is an interesting list. Have you read any of the books recommended?
- What is The Most Overhyped Book (For You) that you’ve read recently? Was it worth the hype? Or were you disappointed?
- Please tell me you know that you can get eBooks FREE to borrow from most libraries (as well as audiobooks).
- Geeky Zoo Girl is trying to revive the Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge. What are your favourite reads? Fill out the form with your selections.
- Here are 5 Young Adult books being turned into film in the next few months.
- What ingredients would be in your recipe for a 5-star read?
- How do you find that words to Write a review when the words don’t come?
- Check out this gorgeous Evolution of Mara Dyer inspired computer wallpaper.
- It’s time for the Bookish Bingo: Holiday Edition – I LOVE book bingos, although I don’t think I’ve ever completed one card. Hmphh.
- What a list – 115 Book Bloggers You Should Be Following. Alas, my blog (Girlxoxo.com) didn’t make it the list * insert sad face here *
- Here’s a master list of YA book blogs on Tumblr.
Authors Doing Good Things
- Author James Patterson will donate £250,000 to indie bookstores in the UK and Ireland. Don’t forget his 2013 pledge of $1 million to indie bookstores in the US.
- Neil Gaiman & wife Amanda Palmer will be spokespeople for Indie First, the campaign to support independent bookstores by challenging fellow writers to volunteer as booksellers in their favorite indie stores on Nov. 29.
- John Green and Bill Gates Are Teaming Up to Bring Clean Water to Ethiopia.
Upcoming Blog Events
- There’s a nice wrap-up of events over at Halloween in the Book Blogosphere and you can link up your events there as well.
- RIP IX is under way. This is a seriously awesome blog event that runs from September 1st to October 31st, and involves reading books that involve “Peril”
- Halloween Hootenanny – 2014 runs for the entire month of October, and offers guest post opportunities at the host blog.
- Something Wicked Strikes is another month-long event for October. You can participate in the blog hop, post something on your blog AND include a giveaway, or just visit the participating blogs in the month and enter the giveaways.
- The month-long 2014 Murder, Monsters & Mayhem (Mx3)! is back. You can link up to your spooky themed book reviews during October.
- Horror October – The Fortnight Edition is October 18th – 31st, and you’ll be able to link up your Horror themed posts.
- The Wicked Wildfire ReadaThon runs from Oct. 17 – 27, 2014. Simply read as much as you can during that time.
- Fortnight of Fright is also October 18 – 31, 2014. This is an opportunity to write a spooky themed guest posts for the hosts.
- #ReadingCram Chills and Thrills Readathon will be Oct. 24 – 31, 2014. You have to read spooky themed books – and there will be daily challenges and they look like FUN!
- The Book Smugglers is hosting a read-along of Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson on October 29, 2014.They will post a joint review of the book and open the floor for discussion and linkage to your posts/reviews.
- The Ho-Ho-Ho Readathon is Nov. 6-11, and requires you to read a holiday (or winter) themed book.
- Sci-Fi Month is Coming (November)! Are You Ready? Link up to all your sci-fi love posts in November.
- Dewey’s 24-hour Readathon is October 18, 2014. The Goal: Read, read, read.
Bookish Blogging Tips
- Let’s put blogging for “fun” into perspective and get back to it – What Blog Stats Actually Mean.
- Do you delete posts? Yup, I sure do. And sometimes I update and re-publish blog posts.
- Formatting old posts… worth the time? I think so, but some people do it slow and over a long period of time; some people do chunks at a time and get them over with quickly.
- The tips in 7 Ways for Bloggers to Be More Productive are incredibly useful.
- Are you up on these Free Blogging Tools That You Should Be Using?
- Scroll down to get to the tips in 9 Ways to Bring Pinterest Users To Your Blog – it’s worth it, I promise you.
- Save 10 Things To Check Before Hitting Publish – you’ll want to read it again and again.
- It’s interesting to see how other bloggers do things, so take a look at How I Met My Blogging Goals in 3 Months. Do you set goals for your blog AND a plan on how to achieve those goals?
- How do you get over low “blog” esteem and boredom?
- 15 Lessons from 15 Years of Blogging – and for those who don’t know,
- If you want to add images to your blog posts, then save 27 Superb Sites With Royalty Free Stock Images.
- I mentioned in 5 Things to Look for in a Free or PreMade Blog Design that a Responsive Design was a must. And here’s the Top 50 Free Responsive WordPress Themes.
- Here are 5 Types of Plugins that Every WordPress Site Needs.