Social Media – Tips on Increasing Followings via Twitter
Establishing an engaged and robust twitter account can feed your blog, sending new followers your way on a daily basis. But, it takes time to build up a good following and it also takes a lot of work. Here are some tips on keeping your twitter account working for you instead of against you…
- First make sure you have a well done bio, twitter avatar, and have tweeted some quality content. The point is to entice them into following you and if you do not look like a quality account, people will not follow you
- Tweet out valuable content, content that people will want to share and retweet. Content that will add to a person’s day, not detract from it.
- Funny, informative or just conversation starters are great tweets to strive for. People seem to respond to funny best.
- Follow funny, fact or viral type twitter accounts and retweet their content for fun
- Engage – respond to mentions, comment on tweets from the people you follow, say hello. Join in on twitter chats. Retweet other quality content.
- Keep a ratio of at least 5 to 1 personal to promotional tweets. This is my own thoughts, twitter should be a conversation not a promotional tool. It doesn’t have to be anything “really” personal – just tweet out that you are reading a certain book, or that you really love love-triangles.
- Host twitter only giveaways
- Promote your twitter account on your blog and encourage people to follow you for giveaways or to contact you via twitter instead of email
- Have fun conversations with someone you follow, everyone wants to join in on a fun conversation
- Ask questions to get responses
- Follow and tweet the people you follow
- Tweet often, but again, with quality engaging content
- Use quality hashtags that others are using, not #just #hashtags for the sake of using hashtags
- Follow what is trending and send out a few trend tweets using the trend hashtags
- Join in on twitter parties
- If you don’t have time to be on twitter all the time, schedule your tweets
- Know how to use twitter, don’t be a #fail – small things like putting a . in front of a mention so everyone can see it will make a big difference
- Be yourself
- Be Honest
- Be Funny
I have always been a fan of Tweetdeck. It is a column program, you can add columns for your lists, for hashtags and see the tweets as they are sent out. It is a great way to follow what you want to follow, especially if you follow a lot of accounts.