Bookish Community Links & News
Let’s support our community by leaving comments / linking to / sharing each other’s posts. Find at least 5 posts you like, and share the blogger love by leaving comments at the respective websites.
- Finalleeee … the winners for the 2013 Nebula Awards Winners have been announced (Science Fiction and Fantasy Award).. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie won for Best Novel (yawn – predictable) and Sister Mine, Nalo Hopkins won in the Young Adult category (squee * happy dance *)
- It’s time to get your FREE Young Adult books for the summer from SYNC. This week’s free audiobook titles are Warp: The Reluctant Assassin (Eoin Colfer, read by Maxwell Caulfield) and The Time Machine (H. G. Wells, read by Derek Jacobi.) They’re available through Wed., May 21.
- Next week’s SYNC titles are Cruel Beauty (Rosamund Hodge, Narrated by Elizabeth Knowelden) and Oedipus the King (Sophocles, Performed by Michael Sheen and a full cast).
- The next few weeks might see a lot of talk about Book Expo America – and Discussion: The Green Eyed Monster of Jealousy is sure to rare it’s ugly head. But don’t let books and bookish things get you down. Here’s a list of BEA2U – Blogger & Bookish Events during BEA 2014. But if you can’t go, then try ArmchairBEA.
- Are you participating in the NetGalley challenge? This might be just what you need to get ahead on those reviews.
- Reddit’s Fantasy group’s list of favorite under-rated or under-read fantasy novels is huge! You can check out the Top 5 choices at Tor.
- The well-read teenager: brilliant classics for young adult readers has some pretty decent recommendations like 1984 by George Orwell.
- It does totally suck When You Don’t Love My New Favorite Book Too! And here are 10 Ways to Shout From the Rooftops, “I Just Read a Book and I’m In Love With It and I Don’t Care Who Knows”
- Or maybe we should follow the old saying, Neither a borrower nor a lender be – Oh the Pressure that comes with reading a book borrowed from a friend.
- Does anyone else think that maybe having hundreds of unread books around – and still buying more, might be a bit of a problem? No – me neither!
- Why I wait to buy certain writers echoes some of my sentiments exactly – especially when it comes to waiting for all the books in a series to be out because the author is notorious for cliffhangers!
- Are you in for the Ninth Annual 48 Hour Book Challenge? I’m so down with it – and I love the fact that it’ll be focused on diverse books.
- I totally missed this when it was published, but check out 24 Books That Predicted the Future. Hmmm …
Bookish Blogging Tips
- Share Images on Blogs & Social Media for free. Getty Images has launched Embed Images – search for an image you want and then embed it on your blog easily. The site will generate code for you to place on your site easily. But of course they want a credit. If you can see the image at the bottom of this post – it works. I haven’t been able to see the image.
- Want to spice up your design? Parajunkee did a post on Blog Design 101 – the presentation that was given at the RT Convention.
- Does One Post Get All the Views? Is it a post you’re happy with – spent hours on? Or is it one that you wrote on the spur of the moment?
- There are some awesome ideas in 5 Way to Get Back on Track Blogging. I’m especially digging #5 – your blog doesn’t have to be ONLY about books (or anything else). Whatever you’re obsessed with – post about it.
- Who says you have to do it like everyone else?! Book blogging trends that I haven’t done—yet. Ditto on a few of these.
- How long have you been a book blogger? Long enough to see The Evolution of Book Blogging?
- A book bloggers pledge … Where you “pledge to be supportive of others” etc. I’m not sure that this needs to be a “pledge.” What do you think?