Hey RT Convention attendees! Planning to spend all your money on books? Didn’t budget for New Orleans festivities? Well, guess what? There are a few things you can do in NOLA for free. And they aren’t just frivolous little time passers…these are some fun things. Give them a try. You might be surprised.
- Visit City Park and stroll through their magnificent Sculpture garden. It is officially called The Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden at NOMA (New Orleans Museum of Art). And NOMA is free for Louisiana residents on Wednesday if you are local
- Walk the streets of the French Quarter, check out Jackson Square and the artists, there is always eye candy
- Take the Haunted New Orleans French Quarter Walking Tour created by parajunkee.com
- Take a free ferry ride, the Cana Street Ferry is a lot of fun to hitch a ride on and you get a FREE Mississippi tour, they only charge you if you bring your car with you
- Visit Woldenberg Riverfront Park and listen to the Steamboat Natchez or the live bands that sometimes play there
- Visit the Farmer’s Market you don’t have to buy anything, just look
- Le Bon Temps Roule has free oysters and live music every Friday
- Starting in spring, every Wednesday there is live music at Lafayette Square
- Walk the cemeteries for free (don’t go alone though, go as a group!)
- The National Park Service offers a free self-guided audio tour of the French Quarter (419 Decatur Street)
Most of all, enjoy your stay. The best part about New Orleans is that there is plenty to look at. Walk around and enjoy the sights. Have fun and keep an open mind. You don’t have to come to New Orleans just to party.