Bookish Community Links & News
Let’s support our community by leaving comments / linking to / sharing each other’s posts. Find at least 5 posts you like, and share the blogger love by leaving comments at the respective websites.
- J.K. Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy will become a 3-hour TV miniseries – I love mini-series. Sherlock and Luthur are 2 of my faves from the BBC.
- We Need Diverse Books Campaign is running on Twitter and blogs May 1-3. If you want to participate, take a pic of you holding a sign saying “We Need Diverse Books because …” I plan on doing it with the kiddos – because we want to read books with characters that also look like they do.
- BookCon responded to criticisms about the lack of diversity of it’s panel by adding a few women to the list, keeping the cat, but still leaving out authors of color. You may feel that BookCon’s Lack of Diversity Isn’t the Problem because they are just trying to make money by presenting … the whitest, all male writers panel possible? … but I beg to differ, because I know there are well known authors of color out there – Sherman Alexie to name just ONE.
- Time’s 2014 most influential people list includes a number of writers, including John Green who, “I would go so far as to call him a prophet.” says Shailene Woodley writing for Time. Is this for real?
- How do you Stay Interesting When Time Marches On?
- What do you think of posting frequency? Is it a Question of Quality over Quantity? I think not. Consistency is really key, and there’s a sweet-spot for most bloggers. Any more and you stress out. Any less, and readership drops off dramatically – which will also probably stress you out. See … sweet spot!
- Are you a fan of unreliable narrators in books? These books make my brain crazy in the best way possible.
- How do you write your reviews? How long does it take you? I spend at least an hour on every blog post I write – but I’m including the time it takes to edit and app photos to every post.
- What Book Changed Your Life? Too many to count.
- Which do you do first – Read the book or Watch the movie? If I watch the movie first, it’s highly unlikely that I’ll read the book after.
- The 23 Things We Think Upon Entering a Bookstore … soul … needs … nourishment!
- What are some of your tips for buying books without breaking the bank?
- Do you consider blogging (about books) an expensive hobby? While it’s time consuming for me – it’s the least expensive of my hobbies.
- Do you agree or disagree that these Five Trends (in Books) Need to Disappear?
- Discovering Edelweiss 101: Browse and Tag is an awesome resource! Edelweiss is a great source for Advanced Reader Copies.
- You HAVE to read College Blogging 101: Time Management & Scheduling. “I’m double-majoring in environmental engineering and Spanish .. taking (and will be taking) an average of about 18 credits a semester … a highly active member of four organizations and play two clubs sports … exercise regularly (yay long-distance running). Yes, I do have friends/a social life. My grades are top-notch … And yes, I have never missed a day of blogging, since starting to blog. Yup, I post every day, not just twice a week, or something. Also? I post four reviews a week. That means I read four books a week. Four. Books. A. Week. With. Reviews.
- I liked the double look of How Blogging Could Be Ruining My Reading Habits and How Blogging Could Be Improving My Reading Habits.
- The eMerging eReader #6: Organizing, Reviewing, Remembering how some boss tips on using your eReader more effectively.
- 5 Best FREE iPhone Games for Word Nerds has some really good recommendations. I need to work on a list for Android users now.
Eye on Conventions
Convention season is in full swing. I’ll try and keep you informed:
RT Convention[ujicountdown id=”RTConvention” expire=”2014/05/13 00:00″ hide = “true”]
- Offical Hashtag #RT14
- The App for RT has been published and it is amazing, search RT Booklovers on your app store or go to Guidebook.
- On parajunkee.com we are putting together lists of bloggers attending and asking for link-ups and if you missed the things NOT to do in New Orleans, it was a lot of fun.
Bookish Events Online – May
- Bout of Books Read-a-thon is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in.
- Clean Sweep ARC Challenge is a month long challenge in May, where you’ll read away those advanced reader copies you have stacked up.
- ArmchairBEA runs parallel to Book Expo America – May 26th to May 31, 2014. It’s a weeklong online gathering of book bloggers discussing topics (that will be pre-published). It’s my favorite event of the year. Here are 4 Reasons to be an Armchair BEA Cheerleader
- From claiming being suicidal to sell more books to having Harry Styles “back” your online FSOG topper… Dear Author breaks it down why most of the stuff that indies are doing to promote their books is against the law.
- Ann Rice is promoting Stop The Good Reads Bullies (STGRB). I just can’t believe this. I’m floored. She’s got all her fans lined up to attack reviewers, they are just drooling to harass, saying things like “Career reviewers are just leaches.” And I believe she knows exactly what she is doing, now all she has to do is start reposting their posts and streams of her fans will begin trolling themselves, all in the name of retribution for their beloved author. This site that should have been shut down a long time ago just got a really heavy boost.
Bookish Blogging Tips
- Twitter Tips For Bloggers has a few ways that you can make the most of your Twitter use to promote your content and make awesome new friends like me @tanyapatricexo 🙂
- Also check out The Twitter Strategy Guide: 14 Twitter Tips to Take Your Tweeting to the Next Level.
- 5 Mistakes that are Holding Back Your Blog’s Success may read a little harsh at first, but think about it – “If your content is just a rehash of existing information” or Of your blog’s sole purpose is to make money” etc. – then you’re probably not going to enjoy and thus be “successful” (by your own definition).
- Top 10 WordPress Plugins for Marketing Your Blog has some interesting plugins that you can use to help get the word out there about your blog.