Ten Reasons to Fall in Love with Zephyros MartiusBy Laura Kaye I’m hugely excited to return for another visit to Parajunkee’s View to celebrate the upcoming release of West of Want, book two in my Hearts of the Anemoi contemporary fantasy romance series. Part of what makes this release particularly exciting is that it’s my first book to appear on bookshelves everywhere! Since I adore heroes, I thought I’d introduce the book by sharing the top ten reasons I think you just might fall in love with mine:
10) Zeph is tormented by a past full of betrayals, making trust his greatest challenge. He has been hurt by those closest to him again and again, and his pain will make you ache.
9) The lesson Zeph learned from those betrayals is that he isn’t worthy of love, that it’s something about him that makes others turn against and discard him. The chinks in his armor will make you want to wrap your arms around him and never let go.
8) He’s the most powerful of the Anemoi – the Supreme God of the West Wind and Spring, with powers of life and rebirth and renewal in his grasp. Zeph definitely has supernatural skillz.
7) He is fiercely loyal to and protective of his brothers. Boreas is the older brother he most admires, and Chrysander is the youngest brother who has his back no matter what. Zeph definitely has a little bromance going on!
6) He is thoughtful and romantic, a fundamental part of his nature being the ability to fall hard and fast. And what a fantasy it is that the most powerful god should fall hard and fast for you?
5) He has a strong sense of duty, honor, and integrity, so he fights for what’s right, readily admits when he is wrong, accepts the consequences of his actions without excuse, and stoically shoulders punishment.
4) His name starts with Z! Seriously, this is definitely one of the reasons to love him! If you know anything about me, you might be award at how huge of a Zsadist fan I am (J.R. Ward’s Lover Awakened). That I have my own Z now—totally based out of the mythology of the Anemoi—tickles me to no end!
3) He knows what he wants, and what he wants is Ella Raines. The possessiveness that floods through him shocks even Zeph, especially when he discovers her wearing another man’s clothing. And man do I love that scene!
2) He’s a skilled lover unafraid to show just how much he needs and desires his partner. Just ask Ella!
1) He’s freaking gorgeous, from his brown hair/slate blue eyes combination, and the flaring of those eyes with preternatural light, to the incredible muscles covering every inch of his body. And he wears a pair of jeans like you dream about!
Need more convincing? Read on…
West of Want by Laura Kaye Excerpt:
Zeph’s arms gripped her tighter, yanking her fully against him. The rigid line of his erection pressed into her belly. “You don’t understand how much you intrigue me.” His head dropped so his lips caressed her ear. “You don’t understand how much you attract me. You’re in my head. All the time. You make my heart beat faster, my body ache with want.” He kissed the shell of her ear and moved sinuously against her.
Her body came alive, tightening, opening, preparing. Ella gasped as he nipped and licked down her neck.
Then he growled. “What is this?” He tugged at the fleece collar around her neck.
“What?” she asked, trying and failing to keep up through the haze of lust.
“This…is this a man’s shirt?”
Ella looked down. “Oh, yeah.”
“I cannot abide it.” His mouth dropped open and the dark blue of his eyes flared. “Please,” he rasped.
Ella frowned. “I don’t understand,” she said, but she stepped back enough to pull the fleece over her head. She tossed it to the futon. “It was just my br—”
Zeph’s mouth crushed to hers. His big hands buried in her hair. He pursued her, devoured her. His passion overwhelmed and overpowered. She stumbled back a half step here and there, until
her shoulders hit the hallway wall.
Male spice filled her nose and tantalized her taste buds. Jesus, she couldn’t get enough of him. She met him kiss for kiss, stroke for stroke. She sucked his tongue until he groaned deep in his throat, and then she did it again.
He grabbed her hands in one of his and braced them over her head, against the wall. He pulled away from the kiss, but kept their faces pressed together. They were both panting, chests heaving, their clothing wet everywhere they touched. He stroked her face, her neck. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…I…” He pressed his lips to her cheek. “I couldn’t stand seeing another man’s belongings on you.”
GIVEAWAY: Did you have a favorite reason to love Zeph? Or a favorite line from the excerpt? One commenter who includes their email address will win a West of Want ebook and swag set. Open to international! Good luck!
Don’t miss the West of Want Scavenger Hunt (thru 7/14) and the West of Want in the Wild (thru 8/24) giveaway events, too!
Thanks for reading! –
Laura KayeBuy Laura’s Books
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter SignUp
“Laura Kaye’s captivating writing and vibrant world-building will have readers hooked on the gods of the Anemoi. WEST OF WANT is steamy, spellbinding, and a must-read for all romance fantasy fans.” ~Elisabeth Naughton, author of the Eternal Guardians series
About West of Want:
Betrayal is all he’s ever known, but in her, he’ll find a love strong enough to be trusted… When Marcella Raines’ twin brother dies, she honors his request to be buried at sea, never expecting the violent storm that swamps her boat. Though she’s gravely injured–and still emotionally damaged from her recent divorce–Ella fights to survive. Zephyros Martius is the Supreme God of the West Wind and Spring, but being the strongest Anemoi hasn’t protected him from betrayal and loss. Worse, he’s sure his brother Eurus is behind it. When Zeph’s heartbreak whips up a storm that shipwrecks a human, his guilt forces him to save her. Ella is drawn to the vulnerability Zeph hides beneath his otherworldly masculinity and ancient blue eyes. And her honesty, empathy, and unique, calming influence leave Zeph wanting…everything. When Eurus threatens Ella, she and Zeph struggle to let go of the past, defend their future, and embrace what they most want–a love that can be trusted.
Voted Breakout Author of the Year in the 2011 GraveTells Readers’ Choice Awards, Laura is the bestselling and award-winning author of over a half-dozen books in paranormal, contemporary and erotic romance. Growing up, Laura’s large extended family believed in the supernatural, and family lore involving angels, ghosts, and evil-eye curses cemented in Laura a life-long fascination with all things paranormal. A published non-fiction author, Laura’s work as an historian and training as an archaeologist help her create vivid and accurate portrayals of other times and places. She lives in Maryland with her husband, two daughters, and cute-but-bad dog, and appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.