By Laura Kaye
Today I’m very excited to be at Parajunkee’s View to celebrate the release of my dark vampire romance, In the Service of the King. This book is the first in my Vampire Warrior Kings series from Harlequin Nocturne—definitively not your mother’s Harlequin! *grins* And, since I adore heroes, I thought I’d share the top ten reasons I think you’ll fall in love with mine:
10) Kael’s tortured by the guilt of his wife’s death. In his head, he knows there was nothing he could’ve done, but that doesn’t keep his heart from aching.
9) He is a man of duty and honor. For seven hundred years, he has devoted his life first and foremost to making the world safe for humanity and protecting his vampire brethren. That’s a lot to admire.
8) He’s a man’s man. A warrior who bears the marks of centuries of warfare. A fighter who does what has to be done. A true friend to his band of warrior brothers.
7) He’s tattooed. If you guys know me at all, you know I love heroes with tattoos. And Kael’s body bears multiple fascinating inked marks of his royal status and position. Yum.
6) He has long hair. Long hair on a guy just kills me. And what I love even more about that hair is how much he loves the heroine stroking and tugging it. Gah.
5) He lives in a castle. Dunluce Castle on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, to be exact. I am completely fascinated with castles, myself, and I love the idea of exploring such an ancient, magical place.
4) He’s a king. A freaking king, people. Before you even get to the body or the fangs or the man within, his rank is an aphrodisiac all itself. Plus, he’s an ancient king living in the modern era, and it’s a mix of history and modernity that is so sexy.
4a) He has fangs and he knows how to use ‘em!
3) Despite his rank and position, he so desires to please his woman, he’s willing to make her a meal with his own two hands. And he’s also willing to admit when he was wrong. I adore both traits in him.
2) He’s a skilled lover. Just ask Shayla McKinnon. He brings her to orgasm with one very intense, very long kiss. And that was just to start. Me wants!
1) He’s freaking gorgeous, from his lion’s mane of hair, to his emerald green eyes that flare with preternatural light, to his tattoos, to the incredible muscles covering every inch of his body.
“Shayla, look at me.”
As much as she’d been waiting for his voice, it still startled her. His use of her name. His tender, regretful tone.
She knew she must obey, but was afraid if she did, she’d lose control of her emotions—and she wasn’t sure whether hurt or anger would win out. Neither was appropriate to show, and both were likely to result in tears.
The king stepped toward her until he was easily within arm’s reach. “Shayla,” he whispered, coaxing her. A long moment passed. And then he fell to his knees before her, his face tilted upward so their eyes could finally meet.
She gasped and her mouth dropped open. He was more fascinating, more gorgeous, than she had even fully recalled. Fire danced behind his eyes, and flashes of gold shined out through the emerald. He was smiling, and it highlighted the strong masculine angles of his jaw and cheeks so vividly it stole her breath. A reaction amplified by the appearance of the sharp tips of his fangs. Shayla licked her lips.
Despite being on his knees, he radiated such palpable power she could feel it jangling in the air between them.
Oh, God. He’s on his knees. A throaty sigh escaped her as she dropped to her own. She was always to be below him.
“Now I can’t see you again.” The warm, amused tone was back. “Please look at me.”
Taking a deep breath, Shayla finally obeyed. Her gaze raked over his intricate tartan robes before finally settling on his handsome face. When their eyes met, the smile he let loose dazzled her, and she smiled back. His playfulness, the incredible sense of ease now possessing him, made it harder to hold on to her anger.
“Thank you,” he said. She nodded. “I have some things I’d like to say to you. Are you willing to hear them?”
GIVEAWAY! Win In the Service of the King
To celebrate her new release, Laura is giving away one e-copy of In the Service of the King at each stop on her New Release Tour, 1/30 – 2/15! In addition, all commenters from across the tour will be entered to win a prize bag filled with swag and various vampire items, perfect for the vampire lover!
- Leave you email address in comments
- Leave if you are US or International in comments
- eBook prize for International winner
- Prize bag open to U.S. Entry only
About In the Service of the Kings
Book 1 in the Vampire Warrior Kings Series
Harlequin Nocturne Cravings
Kael, Warrior King of the Vampires, loathes the Night of the Proffering. He needs the blood of either his mate or a human virgin to maintain his strength, but hasn’t enjoyed the ritual since he lost his mate centuries ago. Kael doesn’t want a new companion, yet his resolve is tested when he lays eyes on his new offering, Shayla McKinnon. He is drawn to Shayla’s beauty and poise…and the submission she offers. She is eager to give him anything he wishes, including her innocence, to please him. Will Kael give in to their overwhelming desire–even if it means risking Shayla’s life?
Voted Breakout Author of the Year in the 2011 GraveTells Readers’ Choice Awards, Laura is the bestselling and award-winning author of a half-dozen books. Hearts in Darkness is a finalist for the EPIC eBook Award for Best Novella, Forever Freed won the NJRW Golden Leaf Award for Best Paranormal of 2011, and North of Need, the first book in the Hearts of the Anemoi series, was named GraveTells’ Best Book of 2011 and won their 5-STAR Gold Heart Award, and won Sizzling Hot Read of the Year at Sizzling Hot Books. Laura lives in Maryland with her husband, two daughters, and cute-but-bad dog, and appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.